Friends, families and supporters of The Maria Montessori Parent Association,
We find ourselves in an unprecedented situation currently. Like the other companies that have been emailing and calling you since March, we have been getting the odd message asking, what the plan is for MAPA this year and into the next year and we will be forth coming with you now, we don’t know. We waited to send communication for two reasons. 1. We were hoping school would resume and we would be able to meet and settle out the year, but sadly with the news of soft closure going the rest of this year that will not be the case. The second reason is that so many of you have so much more pressing issues we didn’t want to add one more email in a sea of spam right now. However, it is important for you to know what our plan is for the rest of the year as it is evolving.
When I (the MAPA president) took this assignment from my predecessor who was kind, and patient with me through all of last year, I never felt truly ready for it. I told myself I would lead this group with integrity and transparency, and make sure that no matter what, the common voice of the parents I serve was carried through. I would be their representative through and through. That has been my common goal through this year. I started the year and to be honest it all went to hell shortly after. People dropped off the board, events came one right after the other that I had to wrangle and just go with it, people came and went, some were amazing, some were not. Then the pandemic hit, and we could not meet, and host our biggest fundraiser of the year that so many people had put so much work into. It broke my heart, but we shouldered on.
During several points of this year we could have closed the charter down. We could have washed our hands of MAPA and called it a day, but we didn’t. Guys, I. Chose. To stay. I made a commitment to be here to serve the families of this school and I feel like now more than ever with everyone having to be distant and not having access to the teachers they love and the school that has become a second home to so many of us you need to hear that. I know that MAPA is an after thought and I’m completely fine with that. Take care of your families and yourselves. A lot of us are struggling to redefine ourselves and our daily lives through this difficult time, but know this; you are not alone. With that in mind here is what we can tell you for this year so far.
As it stands now it looks like the Gala will not be happening this year, we have not officially canceled it, but we are not able to host events and it’s hard to plan anything with conditions being the way they are. A letter went out from the school about any money/donations that were paid through the square app. That should have been refunded by now. If you have not gotten refunded for your ticket or donation please get in touch with MAPA at our email listed at the end of this blog.
If you donated an item for the classroom basket, and would like that returned we will also be returning these items as well. To pick up an item please email mapa with the following information:
*your name/contact information
*your child’s teacher’s name (if applicable)
*When you can pick up the item(s)-Current Office hours are Mon-Fri 9-11 am and 3-5 pm.
*verify the item(s) you will be picking up
Any donation items not claimed after May 1st, will be considered donated property of Maria Montessori Academy Parent Association, and will be used during the 2020-2021 year.
Right now we don’t have a good answer for this question. We are checking with other local charters to see what they are doing and with the national PTO organization to see what they suggest. We want to make sure we are following proper procedure and don’t loose our charter and follow the letter of the law. What we can tell you is that we will probably push for a summer or fall election when things have calmed down and we are able to meet again safely. If you or someone you know plans on being at the school next year and wants to run for office or chair a committee, please see the list of positions next year and email MAPA so we can add you to the candidate list. We appreciate your patience during this weird time.
Positions/Committees for the 2020-2021 School Year:
- President: The president shall preside over meetings of the organization and executive committee and serve as the official MAPA representative.
- Vice President: Assist the president and carry out the president’s duties in his or her absence or inability to serve. The vice president shall serve as the president the following school year.
- Secretary: keep records of the organization, take and record minutes, prepare the agenda, handle correspondence, send notice of meetings to the members.
- Treasurer: custodian of MAPA finances, collect revenue, pay authorized expenses, follow financial policies, hold financial records. Treasurer will present current ledgers and budget at each meeting, as well as serve as the chair or on the fundraising committee.
- Book Fair Chair/Committee: Organize, host and oversee three book fair events; making sure to coordinate with the MAPA board and the school. You will handle advertising for the book fairs and organizing volunteers.
- Fundraising Chair/Committee: Organize ongoing fundraisers like box tops, smith cents, capri suns, etc.
- Teacher Appreciation Chair/Committee: responsible for breakfast for the staff the first Friday before school starts, organizing dinners during PTC week for teachers/staff, and organizing appreciation week themes and events for the school,
- Safety Committee: Organizing crossing guards in the morning for parking lot duty, organizing/planning red ribbon week (door decorating ideas, dress up days, drug free memorabilia, etc.), checking e bags once a year for expiration dates and emptying them at field day,
- Room Parent chair/Committee: work closely with the teachers to help find room parents and volunteers for them, helping to organize room parents during fall festival and gala for baskets, and possibly field trip rides,
- Gala Chair/Committee: Organize and plan the Gala from theme to venue with the help and approval of the MAPA board and the school
- Events Chair/Committee: Organize and plan the Fall Festival (October), Gratitude Feast (November), Field Day (May), as well as help out with any other larger MAPA events that might be going on
Most of us right now are struggling to balance work/home life and now distance learning here are some resources and websites to be aware of for activities and other things that might help make this easier:
A Montessori fb group that is constantly posting Montessori things online for kids to do, this is awesome:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/2752976171483331/ (Montessori Elementary at home during school Closure: Parent Support) This is technically a private group but if you look it up and request in they have been good about letting people in.
Creating Montessori Materials:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1XNVc3Gql6AzDK_-15ltD6mmtWROg_9Sq/view?usp=sharing (fraction circles/ bars)
(stamp game numbers)
NCMPS- National Center Montessori Public Sector- https://www.public-montessori.org/school-closure-resources/
My friends the best thing we can do right now is remember to be kind, be safe and take care of each other. If you have any questions please reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org We look forward to meeting with you again soon! Thank you for your support and your patience.